Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A moment

A moment in my life,
A moment so miniscule,
that it could be easily overlooked,
with a shrug of the shoulders,
like it never existed,
never happened,
but...

The moment does not stare at me,
does not hold me in a vise-like grip,
it sometimes manages to waft in,
slow and seductive,
I manage to shake it away easily,
with almost no-effort,
but...

For days the thoughts don't drift,
the concious does not let go,
not even for a second,
life gains attention,
moments of the present overtaking,
what happened so long ago,
but...

No longer is there a longing,
breathing comes naturally,
in and out, in and out,
there is no pressure to to be happy,
the moment is all but forgotten,
as I peep into the eyes of someone familiar,
but...

Surely it has been more than a few lifetimes,
since the moment came to haunt me,
seems like so long ago,
I must have gotten over it,
I decide triumphantly,
ready to party,
but...

But right this moment, it is different,
there is just that moment and no others,
not the ones before, not the ones after,
why is it that how many ever times I have tried to burn it,
it is always there - a but!

---*---*----*---

*inspired from the lines :

"ek chota sa lamha hain jo khatm nahi hotha, main laakh jalaata hoon wo bhasm nahi hotha"

from the Song "Chod aaye hum woh galiyan" from the movie Maachis!

Yes that it is - the inspiration...not interesting? ;-) ...Well that song and...I wish I could tell but... !! :-p

Also, I wish I could do one word of the poem in urdu..lekin instead of but! ah!

12 Comments:

Blogger SeaSwallowMe said...

hey fizz, wasn't there a song (and a very nice one, i remember) by the same name in "maachis" ?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Fizo said...

my bad ssm...Maachis it is..changed it...they do sound alike don't they..I keep confusing them !! sheesh!

9:32 AM  
Blogger FunnyCide said...

nice fizz.. wish you could also write the whole thing in Urdu and I can understand it too..

very nice.. some moments live on forever while some just disappear like they never existed..

nice thought.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Gentle Sunshine said...

Maybe I read the poem too fast... it flew right over my head. I will read it again, and then leave another comment :--))

10:13 AM  
Blogger Peppy said...

gulzarish!! methinks some lines just stay in your head so strongly, it becomes indelible..as well as phrases i guess..like "chase a sunset" and such..but then gulzar stuff is different methinks..you have a sense it might mean something terribly important and probably drown in its implied significance, but i swear one day, when he is really old, he will say "none of my songs ever meant anything..nyah nyah nyah world!!"


nice one fizz, just caught me at a time when i could appreciate poetry so wheee.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Reshmi said...

lovely :)

got me humming.... "yeh lamha.... filhaal jeelene de" from Filhaal.

2:15 PM  
Blogger asuph said...

No longer is there a longing,
breathing comes naturally,
in and out, in and out,
there is no pressure to to be happy


That's sublime...
Liked the whole poem, but these lines were out of the world..

regards,
asuph.

7:20 PM  
Blogger sigmund fraud said...

"But right this moment,it is different,
there is just that moment and no others,
not the ones before, not the ones after,
why is it that how many ever times I have tried to burn it,
it is always there- a but..."

Lovely lines. Loved them . But I guess, it would have been more profound in Urdu. English is such an insipid and uninspiring language..

7:25 PM  
Blogger Maltova said...

I must beg and beg hard to differ on English being an insipid language. The beauty of a Poem written in English, Urdu, Devnagri or bhojpuri for that matter lies entirely in the hands of the writer.

Fizo,
I loved it, and i didnt know that song in Maachis could evoke a poem from your past. Liked it much.
And yeah next time maybe Urdu would do good :)

5:16 AM  
Blogger Fizo said...

ohmigod! so many nice comments!!

ssm - as I said you did not comment about the poem itself..did you just scroll to the end? :-p

Funny - another songs about moments I like is woh lamhe...very beautiful lyrics and in urdu too ;-)

Sunny - as I told you honored that any of my writings could fly over anyone's head..esp yours :-p

peppy - woah! Gulzarish no less!!! whoa! whoa! Dunno about the rest of his songs peps but geela paani is a classic...and pray what inspired your poetry appreciation state? haan? haan?

reshmi - :-)

asuph - thanks a lot! its great to read a comment like that from you...regards to you too :-)

siggy - I know prad is gonna kill me but yes, english is a lil insipid when compared to urdu...but then I thought if I write it in urdu it would become a lil too similar to the maachis song..so conciously kept away from urdu....maybe I should not have considering the requests!

prad - I agree with your argument that the beauty/insipidity lies in the hands of the writer..but you have to agree..lekin sounds so much more better than but :-p

thanks everyone for the comments!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Rama The Drama said...

When it comes deep down to it simplicity always triumphs and this poem says it without burdening the reader with meaning-between-the-lines,intended-intentions,sacrificing meaning for rhyming...straightforward..and thought-provoking!

On a purely..PJ-mode..the poem does evoke huge laughter..when u add one more t to each of the but...!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Vivek said...

Fizo_ji,

The poem turns out to be better than the line that inspired it!!:)

Vivek

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home